Well if you have every done a Spartan Race then you know all about the Spear Throw. Something that seems so simple can be such a make or break obstacle even at the elite level. It has been the game changer in my final races.
Just like any obstacle the issue is practice. How can you get better at a specific obstacle if you don’t have access to one. With the spear throw all you need is a spear and a bale of hay. Or you can improvise. If you look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SBtI7C7RN0 you can see I set up a blanket over my kids playground and the spear is an old closet rod with a vacuum attached stuck to it! Funny, but it works!
Here is a quick video I made today over at Legacy Athletic Club in Cedar Knolls, NJ. I don’t go into super details, but I think if you give these few tips a try it will help you with the spear throw at your next race. I know there are many ways to do it and I would love to hear comments below.
Also please don’t pick apart the video etc…. again just basic tips to give you some ideas and change the way you might have been doing it. In the end practice and repetition is going to be the key to passing the Spartan spear throw obstacle!
- Turn throw it like a football or baseball…. don’t turn your wrist
- Turn your wrist to the outside of your body.
- Balance the spear
- Focus on ONE spot to throw. Not the whole bail of hay… one central spot..
- Take a breath… do a few practice movements… and let it rip
Latest posts by Chris (see all)
- Thousands of people are expected to take part at the Cloverdale Fairgrounds OCR - July 12, 2017
- SwimJitsu is coming back to Edwardsville - July 12, 2017
- New Prague 3rd Largest Aquatic Facility Brings OCR in Minnesota - July 12, 2017